SAPHO licence management
SAPHO is located in the first horticultural region of France and has a long standing experience in the business of vegetable novelties selection. Our aim is to :
- bring out the collective work of a French plant breeders’ group,
- federate their action,
- organize the propagation of the varieties entrusted by the breeders in a specific area, thanks to a coherent network of registered licence holders.
Our members’ known professionalism guaranties that the varieties are selected based on rigorous criteria. The selection process takes into account commercial attractiveness for the consumer, adaptability to collective or distribution markets, but also the need for agronomic qualities that meet the producers’ expectations. A virtuous chain to add value to our partners’ work.
- 1974 : founding of SAPHO (Syndicate for the improvement of ornamental horticultural plants) thanks to a few professionals and Luc Decourtye, researcher at Angers’ INRA. The INRA gives the group exclusivity for the license management of its woody ornamental varieties. Even today, many varieties in our catalogue come from this partnership.
- 1975 - 1990 : Malus PERPETU ® ‘Evereste’, Forsythia MAREE D’OR ® ‘Courtasol’, WEEK END ® ‘Courtalyn’, Weigela CARNAVAL ®’Courtalor’ are some of the first commercial successes.
- 1982 : The ladybug is chosen for SAPHO’s logo. Now modernised, it is still our sign of quality.
- 1988 : Launch of the first Pyracantha SAPHYR ® varieties, resistant to fire blight and scab, created by the INRA together with some of SAPHO’s investor nurserymen.
- 1993 : Creation of SAPHO Ltd. The foundations are laid for the first French commercial company in the license management of ornamental plants (trees, shrubs, conifers) for the garden.
- 1996 : European laws for the protection of ornamental plants. The community Plant Breeder’s Right (P.B.R.) becomes the framework for the development of vegetable varieties in Europe.
- 1999 : Launch of Caryopteris GRAND BLEU ® ‘Inoveris’, first selection from a new partnership between the INRA and SAPHO’s investor nurserymen. In 15 years, 1.500.000 plants from this variety have been sold in Europe.
- 2006 : Launch of Hydrangea paniculata VANILLE-FRAISE ® ‘Renhy’, selected by Renault, which soon became a star adopted by consumers throughout the world and won many prizes.
- 2008 : First SAPHO licence-holder in North America.
- 2010 : The international development continues with partnerships signed in Australia, Japan, South Africa...
- 2013 : More than 150 varieties of trees, shrubs and perennials in the catalogue, and almost 3.5 million plants of our selections sold annually in the world. The gardens and green spaces like the ladybug.
Head office : Les Fontaines de l'Aunay
49250 BEAUFORT EN VALLEE FRANCE
Manager : Hubert DUPONT, manager of the DUPONT nurseries (St Denis en Val, FRANCE).
The group is made up of the following propagation and/or breeding nurserymen.
|ANDRE BRIANT JEUNES PLANTS®|| CS 10015
15 LD La Bouvinerie
49180 ST.BARTHELEMY D'ANJOU Cédex
|Pépinières CHARENTAISES||Route de Beauregard
|Pépinières CHOLAT||875 Chemin de la Cassine
|Pépinières CROUX||Ferme de Genouilly
|Pépinières DUPONT||921 rue des Montaudins
45560 ST DENIS EN VAL
|Pépinières IMBERT||Place du 8 Mai 1945
|Pépinières LAFITTE||Quartier Greciette
|Pépinières MINIER||Les Fontaines de l'Aunay
49250 BEAUFORT EN VALLEE
|Pépinières NICOLANDES||Kermaout - St-Jean
29340 RIEC SUR BELON
|Pépinières RENAULT||Domaine du Rocher
|Pépinières REY||2050 Route des Chères
|Pépinières THUILLEAUX||6 Route de Rambouillet
|Pépinières TRAVERS||Chemin rural des Montées
45590 SAINT CYR EN VAL